AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
ADMINISTRATIVE SETUP OF AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT:
Agricultural Engineering Department in this District is doing service to the Farming Community by implementing various Agricultural Engineering activities. Accordingly three subdivisions are functioning with Head Quarters at Cuddalore, Chidambaram and Vriddhachalam under the control of a Divisional
|Taluks Agrl. Engg
|HQ. of the Sub Division
2. Panruti3. Kurinjipadi
2. Tittagudi3. Veppur
The specific functions are:
- Creation / Stabilization of irrigation potentials by harnessing Ground Water by construction of Tube wells, Filter Point Tube wells and Revitalization of wells.
- Improved irrigation methods like Drip and Sprinkler systems
- Construction of Percolation ponds for Ground Water Recharge and prevention of flash floods
- All Command Area Development Programmes.
- Support services like provision of farm power for land leveling, shaping, and smoothening and to carry out mechanized cultivation through custom hiring of Bulldozers and Tractors.
- Disaster Management by carrying out relief works during natural calamities like Flood and Drought
The various schemes implemented by this Department are as follows:
LAND DEVELOPMENT SCHEMES:
The Agricultural Engineering Department shall maintain a fleet of Bulldozers and Tractors with matched implements under custom hiring scheme and hire them to farmers for land leveling and carry out mechanized cultivation operations, to continuously demonstrate to farmers the advantage of using Agricultural implements and machinery.
MINOR IRRIGATION SCHEMES:
The Agricultural Engineering Department shall hire out Power drilling rigs, Hand Boring Sets, Air Compressors, Geo Physical survey equipment and other required machinery / equipment to farmers and public in conformity with the Hiring rules for sinking Tubewells; Filter Point Tube wells for Ground water Development.
SOLAR PUMPING SYSTEM
Subsidy for installing Solar Pumping System (5 H.P to 10 H.P) is provided to farmers applied for free power at 90% subsidy who forego the EB free services or who with draw the applications from TANGEDCO.
RECLAMATION OF PROBLEM SOILS:
This Scheme has been introduced as sub scheme of Rashtriya Krishi VikasYojana (RKVY) as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme. A pilot project at Parangipettai block in Cuddalore district has been taken up. in the tail end of Cauvery Delta as well as near to the Sea shore, it is regularly affected by the sea back water during Full moon days and no moon days.