* Research activities on different vegetable and fruit crops for identifying suitable high yielding varieties/hybrids for the North Eastern Zone of the state.
* Development of agro-techniques for different Vegetable Crops.
* Breeder seed production of Vegetables, Paddy and Black gram for further stages of multiplication by the Department of Agriculture and Horticulture and private firms.
* Production of truthfully labelled seeds of Paddy and Vegetable Crops to the Farming community and State department of Agriculture and Horticulture.
* Production and distribution of fruit plants and different varieties of ornamental plants
* Dissemination of technologies developed to the farmers through training programmes and mass media.
Stated as the 2nd Agricultural Research Station in the State during the year 1905 and functioned as multi crop Experiment station from 1951-1988. It was brought under the Tamilnadu Agricultural University administration from 1.4.81 and functioning as Vegetable Research Station since 1989.
On-Going Research Programmes:
* Improvement of greens (Amaranthus spp): Thandukeerai, Araikeerai and Sirukeerai.
* Improvement of gourds: Bitter gourd, Snake gourd, Ribbed gourd and Bottle gourd.
* Improvement of local brinjals through hybridization and selection.
* Hybridization and selection in Okra to evolve varieties/hybrids suitable for the coastal tract.
* Survey, identification, evaluation and propagation of Jack Selections.
* Improvement of Tagetes.
* Studies on the effect of chemical resi due of Glyphosate on the performance of succeeding vegetable crops.
* Studies on the effect of biofertilizers on the growth, and yield of brinjal.
* Studies on the effect of mulches on growth, yield and weed infestation in Chillies.
* Studies on the effect of vermicompost and biofertilizers in vegetable crops.
SEED PRODUCTION AND NURSERY PROGRAMMES
* Breeder and Truthful seed production of Vegetable Crops, Paddy and Black gram.
* Nursery production of fruit (Jack, Sapota, Mango, Tamarind, Gooseberry etc.) and Ornamental plants.
* Imparting training to farmers, SHG'S and Department Officials on horticultural crop production.
1. Dr.V.Asok Metha Ph.D.(Hort) Horticulture
2. Dr.K.Gouthaman Ph.D.(Agro) Agronomy
3. Dr.S. Jeeva Ph.D.(Hort) Horticulture (Email: Jeeva_62[at]yahoo[dot]com)
1. Brinjal PLR1 : High yield potential (25t/ha). Purple fruits occur in Clusters and possess extended shelf life.
2. Jack PLR1 : Off-Season bearing, high yielding (79 fruits weighing 890Kg/tree/year) and suitable for high density planting.
3. Chilli PLR1 : High yielding green chilli variety (18t/ha). Tolerant to salinity.
* NPK AT 300:50:90 Kg/ha and 75x 60cm spacing was found optimum for PLR 1 Brinjal.
* Annamalai Brinjal responded well for ratooning with yield potential of 63% of the main crop with in 100-110 days and with a fertilizer dose of 75:25:30Kg. NPK/ha plus Azospirillum and phosphobacteria each 2Kg/ha.
* A spacing of 30x25 cm and NPK at 180:120:100 Kg/ha was found optimum for Knol-Khol white Vienna and gave an yield of 27.4t/ha.
* Neem oil 4% and NSKE 5% controls bhendi and brinjal fruit borer.
* Soaking in double the quantity of water for half - an-hour and incubating for six days is found optimum for pre germination of ash gourd and ribbed gourd seeds for early plant stand.
Professor and Head,
Vegetable Research Station,
Palur - 607 102.
Phone: 04142 - 275222
PLR 1 (Brinjal)
Released in the year 1990, High yielder (25 t/ha), Deep purple glossy fruits, Cluster bearing
PLR 1 (Jack)
Released in the year 1992, High yielder ( 79 fruits-890Kg / year ), Off season bearing (Nov/Dec)
Flakes are thick, crisp, sweet and highly palatable with attractive golden colour
Suitable for high density planting
PLR 1 (Chillies)
Released in the year 1994, Suitable for green chillies
Gundu type - big sized glossy fruits, Yield - (18.4 t/ha) in 8-10 pickings
Tolerant to salinity
A13, selection from Villupuram (26t/ha) and another selection from Thiruvannamalai (16.5t/ha) are forwarded for MLT / ART.
A 5, selection from Thiruvathigai ( 30.7 t/ha), A14 selection from Gnanamedu (26.8 t/ha) and A19, selection from Kandangkadu (27.8) are found to be promising. These were forwarded to MLT/ART.
The types MC 30 which possessed desirable characters (Green long with less seeds) with a yield potential of 18-20 t / ha has been identified. This types will be forwarded to MLT
The type MC 120 which possessed the desirable characters (Green long with less seeds) with a yield potential of 18-20 t / ha has been identified. This type will be forwarded to MLT
Snakegourd White Short
White short type a selection from Ariyankuppam with soft rind and fleshy fruits of high consumer preference has been identified and improvement work completed .This has a yield potential of 20-25 t / ha. This type is under yield trial. Will be forwarded to MLT.
Snakegourd White Long
White long type a selection from Sathipattu with soft rind and fleshy fruits of high consumer preference has been identified and improvement work completed .This has a yield potential of 25-28 t / ha. This type is under yield trial. Will be forwarded to MLT.
Selection from Ariyankuppm with a yield potential of 15 t/ha in 120 days is under final stage of evaluation.
Gnanamedu Local 20 T/ha
Improvement work of a selection from Gnanamedu has been completed which is popular in the Cuddalore district and possess high consumer preference. This will be forwarded to MLT. This has a yield potential of 20t/ha.
The four types Yellow, Light yellow, Orange and Red established from the local bulk are under purification and further evaluation. This has a yield potential of 20t/ha.