Formation of the District
The history of the systematic administration of the Land Revenue of erstwhile South Arcot District begins with the acquisition from the Nawab in 1801, when the Nawab made over the Carnatic to the Company , Captain Graham was appointed to take charge of the District lying between Palar and Portonovo rivers and become the first Collector South Arcot.
The then district consisted of the 21 Taluks of Arcot, Vellore, Thiruvathur, Polur, Arani ( The Jagir of that name ) Wandiwash, Chetpet , Thiruvannamalai , Gingee ,Tindivanam , Valudavur, Villupuram , Anniyur , Tirukoilur , Thiruvennainallur , Tiruvadi , Elavanasur, Kallakurichi , Vridhachalam , Tittagudi and Bhuvanagiri but excluded the form of Fort St.David and the territory of Pondicherry, both of which had been separately acquired and were separately administered. In April 1805, the then Taluk of Mannarkudi ( which is included in what is now known as Chidambaram ) was added from Tiruchirapalli to this huge charge.
In 1808, However Arcot, Vellore, Thiruvathur , Polur , and Arani Jagir were transferred to North Arcot and Wandiwash to Cheingelput while the Fort St.David and Pondicherry villages (which at different time had been under both, the Collector and the commercial resident at Cuddalore) were incorporated with the District. In 1816, Pondicherry was finally restored to the French and erstwhile South Arcot assumed practically its position. Cuddalore , which is District Headquarters for South Arcot District for more than a century. This has been mentioned everywhere in the history. The present Cuddalore District has been formed on 30.9.1993.
In puraana this district is
described as part of Sri.
Rama Khetra. This
district is a primitive one. Vridhachalam
is an example where mountain
once prevailed disappeared at times.Historic
evidence available from madras district gazetteers south arcot published in
1962 reveals that the name ‘Arcot’
derived from Tamil
kadu’ i.e. six
forests which was said to be the abode of six rishis.
prove it saivaite pathmakers Thirunaukkarasu,
born in this
district. Maikaudar one of the sithas out of eighteen born in this district. This district is proud of possessing as birth place of
the Tamil poetess gave in marriage angavai, sangavai, the daughters of pari
the vallal in Tirukoilur to the king Deiviekan.
famous typical and universal logic temple of Sri Natarajan is situated in
this district. It is an interesting subject to scientists and innovators to
research on the dancing postage of Lord