Working towards freedom from preventable and curable blindness, DBCS, Cuddalore on the path of progress
* 45 Million people are visually handicapped.
* 12 Million are totally blind
* 1/5 th World population are blind
* In addition, 4 million new cataract cases are added every year
* Every 5 seconds one person in our world goes blind.. and a child goes blind every minute.
IN CUDDALORE DISTRICT
* Prevalence rate 500 cataract cases per Lakhs population (Cuddalore District Population 23 Lakhs)
* 14,500 to 15,000 people are visually handicapped
* More than 85% of this blindness is preventable and curable
DISTRICT BLINDNESS CONTROL SOCIETY (THE BIRTH AND GROWTH OF DBCS, CUDDALORE)
* A Society registered under the Indian Societies Registration Act 1860 for to implement the National Programme for Control of Blindness (GOI).
* DBCS is to provide a RAY OF HOPE to the blind in Cuddalore District
* Established in 1994 under the Chairmanship of District Collector
* Affiliate with Tamilnadu State Blindness Control Society, Chennai and Directorate General of Health services, Ministry of Health and Farmily Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi
* Provides high quality, cost effective, eye care to everyone, irrespective of socio economic status
* Co-ordination and implementations of the activities of Government, Voluntary and Private sector and motivate the above organisation to conduct eye camps
* DBCS will pay the grant-in-aid to the voluntary Organisation Rs.400/- per case of ICCE & Rs.600/- per case of ECCE/IOL
* District Mobile Ophthalmic Unit in Government side
* Voluntary approved organisations to conduct free eye camps in Cuddatore District.
1. Sankara Eye Hospital, Colmbatore
2. Aravind Eye Hospital , Madurai & Pondicherry
3. Joseph Eye Hospital, Trichy
4. Vivekananda Eye Hospital, Tiruvannamalai
5. Sri Ramana Maharishi Eye Hospital, Tiruvannamalai
6. Cuddalore Eye Hospital, Cuddatore
7. Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai
* 32 beded separate eye Hospital in Government Hospital, Cuddalore
* Separate A/c Operation theatre with foreign Operating Microscope
* Well equipped out-patient, diagnostic and in-patient facilities
* 13 Dark rooms in 13 Primary Health Centres
* 22 seated Mini Bus
* A Scan
* Yag Laser (Japan) etc.,
GIFT OF VISION (RURAL OUT-REACH EYE CARE PROGRAMME)
* Over500 rural out reach eye camps in Cuddalore District per year
* Around 1,03,076 free eye surgeries with IOL carried out from 1994 to 2003-04.
* All facilities, including food & transportation provided free.
* Systematic follow up of all operated patients ensured.
PREVENTIVE EYE CARE FOR SCHOOL CHILDREN DURING 2002 - 03
* 1,74,061 children screened
* 958 free glasses provided
* Surgeries performed wherever indicated
* Helps train school teachers, V.H.N. & Village Panchayat Presidents etc.,
WE AIM AT (DURING 2003 - 2004)
* Cataract surgery for 16,000 patients
* 40 % S.C/S.T and below poverty line (out of total catops).
* 60 % Bilateral cataract operations
* 50 % IOL operations out of total targets
* 55 % women beneficiaries out of total targets
* Awareness about the scheme
* People's partnership
* Special Focus on SC/STs
- GOI conducted in-depth survey during 1999 on the out come of Cataract surgery performed in this district and concluded that "success rate after surgery was nearly 80 %".
Thiru.Karl Aage Henk, Chief Advisor, Danish assistance to the National Programme for control of blindness, New Delhi who have inspected Cuddalore District on 8.2.2001. mentioned as detailed below in his letter dt. 12.02.2001 which is self explanatory.
"Cuddalore District being on records in Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Ophthalmic Section, GOI, New Delhi as one of the outstanding district in this country "
The toothless smile, that broke out on the faces of aged patients, when presented with a new pair of best adjusted spectacles, was enough to bring tears to our eyes and goad us to face any hurdle in the service of humanity. May God bless these angles for the rest of their lives.
* Our small steps over the past 10 years have helped to light up 1,03,076 persons.
* Let us march under the inspiring leadership of District Collector, towards a proud and prosperous Cuddalore District.